[Openicc] A directory for color profiles

Craig Ringer craig at postnewspapers.com.au
Wed Dec 19 00:48:49 PST 2007

I'll resurrect this discussion again to add one more piece of information:

>> Slighly similiar, of what I think, ColorSync allowes different locations
>> too. This is for instance necessary to support the bundles approach. So
>> the systems sees ICC profile folders inside bundles after some ColorSync
>> calls.

It definitely does - it has an OS-wide search path that can be added to
by applications. For example, Adobe apps add:
	/Library/Application Settings/Adobe/Color/Profiles
to the search path, permitting all apps on the system to see the
profiles installed by Adobe apps.

I personally think the search path mechanism is useful, though it'd be
less so on a package-managed platform like a Linux distro than an OS
like Apple's where all apps essentially have one or more private
prefixes ( /Library/Application Data/${appname} , the .app bundle, etc)
and shouldn't change things outside them.

--
Craig Ringer