[Openicc] [argyllcms] Re: CC Profiles In X Specification and dispwin

Hal V. Engel hvengel at astound.net
Tue Jan 15 11:39:39 PST 2008

On Tuesday 15 January 2008 04:53:16 Kai-Uwe Behrmann wrote:
> Am 15.01.08, 07:10 -0500 schrieb Robert Krawitz:
> > That's correct -- I don't have the measurement hardware (nor do I
> > actually have every single printer, although I do have representative
> > samples of most of the newer Epsons).
>
> Once you can measure, the calibrations could greatly improve. If I
> understand correctly you do a basic calibration anyway.

This calibration is currently done without the use of measurement devices.  I
have done some linearization measurements of my printer/GutenPrint/CUPS setup
using several spectrophotometers (DTP41B UV and a DTP20 UV).   For the most
part the calibration state is good (actually considering that no measurement
device was used surprisingly good) but I do see some places where there are
issues in this area.  For my printer the most significant issue is an area in
the magenta curve where there is a rather abrupt deflection in the curve near
the mid point.   There is also a hump in the cyan curve at about its mid
point.  Combined these cause a noticiable (but not large) green/cyan shift in
the grays.

It is when Robert and company are doing these base calibrations that the use
of a measurement device would be most benifitial to them since it would allow
them to detect issues like this and correct them.   This would result in a
higher quality base configuration that would benifit everyone using the
drivers even those who know nothing about color management.  It might also be
possible to write some supporting software that would semi-automate the
measurement/calibration workflow.  This is a non-trivial undertaking but it
might be possible to eventually expose this functionality for users wishing
to do custom calibrations of their own printing work flows.

> The next minor
> step is to create a profile.

Possibily but no matter what you do one profile per printer is not going to
work and creating a series of profiles for each printer is a large task.

> I'd like to add, as hardware I thought of a automatic xy chart table.
> Such device allowes to place the printed, dry chart on the table, tell
> about start and end points and continue with other things until the
> measurements are finished.

But getting the measurements is only a small part of the overall process.

> > That's also what I'd rather be doing.  In this particular case, I'd
> > rather add the necessary features to Gutenprint to allow people who do
> > have the hardware and expertise in this area to create and publish
> > these profiles, and for users to use them easily.

I agree that this is what you should be doing.  I also think that those of us
with CM expertise need to be doing more to help you understand what needs to
be done to achive this.

Hal