[Openicc] ALL YOU NEED IS A PROFILE, THE MYTH... linearization / G7

Hal V. Engel hvengel at astound.net
Thu Jan 17 14:48:47 PST 2008

On Thursday 17 January 2008 11:23:43 Jan-Peter Homann wrote:
> hello list,
> I agree with edmund, that good linearization is the most important basis
> for good results in printing.
> As in a former mail, i strongly recommend to look at G7-process from
> IDEAlliance / GRACoL as target values and method for linearization.

I had a quick look at this after Jan-Peter's last email.  It was interesting
and they actually have a manual method using graph paper and a set of
measurements of their calibration target taken with a spectrophotometer for
calculating a set of linearization corrections.  Documentation of the method
this including the linearization target and the graph paper tempates can be
downloaded for free (see http://www.gracol.org/resources/).  They also have
an application that takes these measurements and does all of the calculations
and spits out the results for a either a specific RIP or generic curve
corrections.  You have to be a member to download the software so it is not
free and I suspect it only runs on Windows and/or the Mac in anycase.

I suspect that it would be possible to figure out the algorithms they are
using by digging into the materials needed for the manual method and that
this could be used as a basis for writing an open source application that has
the same functionality as their members only app.  In addition I think it
would be possible to directly integrate this into the GutenPrint back end to
make all of this accessable to GutenPrint users with a spectrophotometer as
well as the GutenPrint developers.

> This
> will lead to a gradation and gray balance which is very similar to SWOP
> TR001, GRACoL2006coated and ISOcoated_v2/FOGRA39 the worldwide most
> important standards for CMYK-data.
>
> for sRGB-data standard settings, it would be possible to use a
> standard-conversion sRGB->SWOPTR001 or littlebit better
> sRGB->GRACoLcoated without the need for individual printer profiles

This would take care of the "I just want it to work" users.

> For the  CMYK-data standard-settings it would be possible to deliver a
> standard conversion e.g. SWOP->SWOP_GCR only for applying GCR and
> Inklimit without changing the color appearance.
>
> Combined with tools for optimal (re)-linearization based on G7, we could
> handle the most important steps for predictable color in printing
> without the need of dozens of profiles for differnt papers. Tools for
> (re)-linearization should also include procedures for checking the
> actual linerization (by comparison to a printers sample or masuring with
> a i1 spectrophotometer)

I would say any spectrophotometer that is supported by open source libraries.
This gives users more options for what device they use.  In addition the
number of patches that need to be measured for this process is fairly small
so even a spot reading device would work for this process.

> ON TOP of (re)-linearized system we can talk about standard printer
> profiles for different types of paper and the possibility to integrate
> individual printer profiles.

This would be OK for most users and most printers.  Looking at their specs it
calls for a minimum L* of 15 to 18.97 depending on paper type for the K
channel.  For many printers this is fine but for some printers like the Epson
R2400 values as low as 3 are possible and even the current default setup for
GutenPrint gets a min K channel of around 12 on glossy paper.  In other words
some of our printers can have significantly more dynamic range than this
standard calls for.  This means that the generic process would need to be
augmented for some very high performance printers.  I don't see any issues
doing this as long as this is taken into account when something like this is
implemented.

Hal