[Openicc] New options on the mainline

edmund ronald edmundronald at gmail.com
Sun Jan 20 02:29:45 PST 2008

On Jan 20, 2008 9:54 AM, Kai-Uwe Behrmann <ku.b at gmx.de> wrote:
> Thanks for switching to a new thread subject. To be honest, I was not
> convinced with complete capitalisation in the subject line for the sake
> of repeating ideas.

Oh, well, apologies then, for such capitalisation.

I wish you guys would sit down and do persona scenarios to define
Gutenprint's potential users. Here is a start, which indicates
possible entry and exit reasons.

- Gianni Entusiasto.
 Gianni is 28, lives in Milano and he loves digital black and white
photography which is so nostalgico. Unfortunately he only has an aging
Epson A3 printer hooked on to an old iMac and pirate copy of Photoshop
7. But wait! Gianni has discovered the Gutenrpint-based Quadtone Rip
(http://www.quadtonerip.com/html/QTRoverview.html) and now has started
to print his own exhibition prints and done a show. But all is not
perfect. Gianni would like to use some new media, but attempts to find
third party profiles have failed, and Gianni may simply buy a new
Epson and use the advanced B&W mode of the native driver in the
future. And then Gianni won't need to bother his friend Carlo the
computer expert anymore.

- Tania Techkid
 Tania is a 14 year old smart techie in a semi-detached near London.
She loves Linux, and runs it exclusively on donated obsolete
computers. Her room is full of ethernet cables  "Windows, blech!" is
her mantra. So, no wonder  that when she prints out her digicam images
she uses the Gimp and Gutenprint to drive an old inkjet which is fed
with cheap third party ink. But her parents have decided to surprise
Jane:  an iBook and a new bundled printer are going to be hers at her
next birthday.

- George Labrat
 George is a 24 year old grad student at the Mouse Institute of
Technology. His lab runs tons of Unix boxen and Linux workstations.
Students and faculty need to run off posters for presentations, and
the lab has in the past purchased a wide-body printer for this
purpose. This wide body started up hooked to a PC, but it's now run
off Linux via a CUPS/Gutenprint spooler, and results are perfectly
satisfying, with everybody very happy that the Windows box is gone.
But the lab would like to get a new printer, and the latest models are
unfortunately not supported by Gutenprint, so there is talk of using a
Mac mini to drive the new model until Gutenprint can handle it.

Maybe three or four more scenarios would be worth looking at - but I
think either I have limited imagination or the Gutenprint users aren't
really mainstream, or maybe both.

Edmund