[Openicc] linearisation targets, Argyll, G7

Hal V. Engel hvengel at astound.net
Wed Jan 23 11:25:40 PST 2008

On Wednesday 23 January 2008 01:52:52 Jan-Peter Homann wrote:
> 5) linerization files in CGATS / ISO 12640 format
> --------------------------
> The CGATS-format  or ISO 12640 is an OS independent ASCII based format
> for color-data. It could easily adapted also to transport 1D LUT data.
> This would allow e.g. to write export and import filter to manipulate
> printer linerization-data with  imaging applications, which can handle
> CMYK images and have a curve tool.  including a softproof of the
> manipularions.

For those list members who are not familiar with CGATS files all of out open
source color management application suites support this fully.  ArgyllCMS,
LCMS and LProf each have a complete CGATS library.  I beleive that the CGATS
library in LCMS is derived from the one in LProf.

Using any of these libraries it is easy to create CGATS files and read and
parse data out of existing CGATS files.  The libraries are simple to use.  I
don't think that the CGATS format needs to be adopted to support 1D LUT data
as this is supported out of the box if you will.   For example both ArgyllCMS
and LProf use CGATS files for monitor calibration data which are basically a
set of 1D LUTs.  In fact CGATS is specifically designed for representing
tables of data.  That coupled with the ease of use makes this a very good way
to handle this.