[Openicc] linearisation targets, Argyll, G7

Graeme Gill graeme at argyllcms.com
Thu Jan 24 21:07:47 PST 2008

Gerhard Fuernkranz wrote:
> Graeme Gill wrote:
>> Argyll currently uses the CGATS format for the display calibration
>> curves. The main attraction about using (say) an ICC device link
>> as a format for calibration curves is that they can then be linked
>> into a color transformation link path using current tools.
>
> But one must be careful. If the output of the linearization curves
> drives directly the halftone engine, then the curves are likely not as
> well-behaved and smooth, as it would be necessary for including them in
> the multi-dimensional LUT of a color transformation link path. Thus it
> is IMO important to make sure that they are are not included in the
> multi-dimensional LUT, but still applied separately after the CLUT.

Yes, I was assuming that the linker would apply the calibration to
the final per channel curves (something argyll/icclink does already),
or that a "calibrated" device profile would be made by combining the
calibration curves into a pre-calibration device profile by modifying
the per-channel output curves.