[Openicc] Drop size calibration

Bob Friesenhahn bfriesen at simple.dallas.tx.us
Mon Jan 28 17:54:56 PST 2008

On Tue, 29 Jan 2008, Alastair M. Robinson wrote:

> Well, it's true that this discussion has gone down a very specialized alley,
> but it sprung up as a result of discussing how open source systems should
> handle linearization and profiling of printers, which is well within the
> OpenICC remit.

If we were to bound the various topics in the relevant Venn diagrams,
this lengthy discussion would not be bounded.  Notice that this
mailing list is here to support freedesktop.org which has this stated
purpose:

   "freedesktop.org is open source / open discussion software projects
    working on interoperability and shared technology for X Window
    System desktops. The most famous X desktops are GNOME and KDE, but
    developers working on any Linux/UNIX GUI technology are welcome to
    participate."

Notice the focus on interoperabilty and shared technology.  In order
for this list to be generally useful (as was originally planned),
detailed discussion of underlying problem domains should not bubble up
to the list unless it is important to the interfacing with other
subsystems or is otherwise of general interest.  The focus should be
on features, interfacing, and specifications.

It is good that there is so much printing expertise in the open source
world but the lengthy discussions of low-level printing issues are
thoroughly drowning out any other possible discussion and will surely
drive expertise in other domains away from the list.

Bob