[Openicc] Drop size calibration

Robert Krawitz rlk at alum.mit.edu
Mon Jan 28 18:38:56 PST 2008

   Date: Tue, 29 Jan 2008 13:31:16 +1100
   From: Graeme Gill <graeme at argyllcms.com>

   Gerhard Fuernkranz wrote:

   > Btw: This statement, which brings drop sizes and light/dark
   > transitions into relation, reminds me on another approach I have
   > seen somewhere in the literature. This approach does the
   > dark/light splitting in the dithering engine: It treats the
   > e.g. 16 dot-on-dot overprint combinations of the three dot sizes
   > of "C" and the three dot sizes of "c" as if they were 15 drop
   > sizes of a single virtual cyan channel. Then these 15 virtual
   > drop sizes are sorted by density, and dithering is done between
   > the resulting 16 virtual levels. A requirement for this approach
   > is of course that the hues of the dark and light inks must match
   > sufficiently well, i.e. the dark inks should be basically the
   > same colorant as the light ones, but at a higher concentration. I
   > have no idea though, how well this approach works in practice...

   I think this is the approach Epson recommends for it's printers.
   Somewhere in their literature I recalling a recommendation to avoid
   using the dark ink, small drop, & this pretty much implies
   incorporating the light/dark ink into the screening. I'd imagine
   that there are probably advantages to do with screen smoothness and
   ink coverage in this approach.

Where is that mentioned?  It's not discussed in the programming
manuals I have.

Member of the League for Programming Freedom -- mail lpf at uunet.uu.net

--Eric Crampton