[Openicc] Questions about color pickers and graphics libraries under LINUX

Jan-Peter Homann homann at colormanagement.de
Thu Jan 31 03:20:36 PST 2008

Hello list,
As I´m not a developer and only a stupid Mac OSX user, I may not use
correct terms in this e-mail...

Even in the Mac OSX and Windows area, we are far away from having a
transparent colormanagement between the OS, applications and the print path.
Most professional applications like e.g. the Adobe Creatice Suite have
their own settings and libraries and only make use of the monitor
profile specified on system level. Especially in the print path, we have
often interactions between application based color management, OS
colormanagement and printer driver colormanagement, which often makes
configuration and trouble-shooting of colormanagement for the print path
extremly complicated.

The openICC mailinglist is the worldwide only forum / place I have seen
in the last 15 years, where developers of buth OS, applications and
printer drivers discuss about colormanagement and also some consultants
/ users give their input. Here I see the potential of a much better
colormanagement integration between OS, apps and printer drivers as in
Windows or Mac OSX...

I would be pleased, if somebody would explain to me the actual state of
color(management) implementation in KDE, Gnome and 2D graphics libraries
according my following questions:

Color picker on OS level:
--------------------------
- Which color picker projects on OS level exist ? (name / url)
- Which kind of colorspaces are supported in the colorpickers:
    - RGB
    - Gray
    - CMYK
    - Lab
    - Spotcolors (described by name, Lab-value, alternative sRGB-value)
- Do this colorpickes support ICC-profiles for the colorspaces ?
- Do this colorpickers can make use of a monitor profile ?
- What desktops can make use of this colorpicker ?

2D graphics libraries on OS level (name and URL)
------------------------------
- Which 2D graphics libraries exist on OS level, which deliver following
functionalities:
    - representing pixel images, vector graphics and fonts
    - rasterizing a file containing images, vectorgraphic and fonts to a
bytemap image (for display, print, file export)
    - exporting a file containing images, vectorgraphic and fonts as PDF
- Which general colorspaces are supported in the graphics library:
    - RGB
    - Gray
    - CMYK
    - Lab
    - Spotcolors (described by name, Lab-value, alternative sRGB-value)
- What desktops can make use of this 2D graphics libray ?

(For getting first steps beyond RGB-only, it would make support also
gray and CMYK in a way, that all objects of a file (images, vector
graphics, fonts) must be in the same colorspace with only one
icc-profile assigned to the whole file. This would allow easy
rasterization without any color transformation. Colormanagement to the
display or for print output is applied to the rasterized file.

If e.g. the graphics library would support CMYK and PDF export, it would
be easily to create files for the graphics arts users.

It would be nice, to hear whats going on in the LINUX world

Regards
Jan-Peter

--
***********   Neue Adresse / new adress   ************