[Openicc] Drop size calibration

edmund ronald edmundronald at gmail.com
Tue Feb 5 17:01:54 PST 2008

 Robert,

 All the points you make are perfectly valid; whether you can live
with a given closed piece of equipment is a matter of point of view.

 My point of view regarding measuring equipment is that you are really
paying for the manufacturer's quality control and the trust you place
in that entity. Certification, and measurement repeatability  is where
the value lies,  and in the reputation of reduced inter-instrument
variation.

 I regularly get angry at not being able to hack the various items I
own easily - although like most of those on the list I have been known
to tamper with some of my stuff. However, the measurement instruments
I own I don't want to tamper with - as soon as I lose traceability
(certification) they are useless.

 There are analogous situations, I believe, in many embedded systems -
would you really trust the brakes in your car if they were dependent
on a Linux OS upgrade or patch ? I don't mean that I wouldn't prefer
open-source braking code, I do mean that I wouldn't want to entrust
the actual compilation of an upgrade to any entity outside the
engineers who are working at the company making the braking system and
who would be prepared to test the braking performance against their
own benchmarks.

Edmund