[Openicc] Promoting colormanagement for LINUX

Chris Murphy chris at colorremedies.com
Wed Feb 13 06:35:37 PST 2008

On Feb 13, 2008, at 4:33 AM, Jan-Peter Homann wrote:
> 1) Making the openICC wiki the first adress for best practice in OSS
> colormanagement
> -----------------------------------
> - OSS developers should find all necessary informations at the openICC
> wiki to know what steps they have to go in general to make their
> application CM aware
> - developers of applicatios, which are already CM aware should
> describe
> how they have implemented it in general, and which libraries, code
> snippets are available for other developers
> - testfiles and test procedures for validating CM functionality in
> apps
> should be available via the open ICC-wiki

Yes absolutely, I agree. It absolutely boggles my mind how often end
users have to thoroughly test everytime *anything* changes on Mac OS
X with respect to ensuring color management is still working. We have
numerous examples of where a print driver version changes, and now
things don't print correctly; a single application does not have the
same printed output as other applications...from the same vendor
(ahem Adobe); operating system updates suddenly cause color shifts in
printing, but only from one application. Wait, what? How's that even
possible?

It's really lunatic asylum sort of stuff.

You'd think before software gets released that there'd be reasonably
sophisticated test suites they could all use to verify before and
after code changes, and before public release of updates, that
something hasn't gone awry, but no ... apparently not. Many examples
of this. Very irritating.

I wonder if a color management test suite is something that the ICC
should do? If openicc members work on a comprehensive test suite,
it's going to get picked up by non-open source companies, who are
likely ICC members anyway.