[Openicc] Promoting colormanagement for LINUX

Bob Friesenhahn bfriesen at simple.dallas.tx.us
Wed Feb 13 13:37:01 PST 2008

On Wed, 13 Feb 2008, Hal V. Engel wrote:

> The next layer up is the DE or window manager (like KDE) and the various
> libraries that applications use (like Qt) and the last layer is the actual
> applications.  The icing in between these layers and between pieces in the

It is best to consider the window manager to be a special kind of
application since it does not fit between applications and X11.  X11
applications can be used without a window manager.  This is a common
point of confusion since for some operating systems there is no
distinction between "OS" and Window management.  In fact, under
Microsoft Windows, it seems that applications need to actively
participate in being moved or iconized whereas, in X11 the window
manager is in complete control.

> fairly easy to accomplish.  For example, a doable sub project would be to
> implement video card LUT management in X11.  This would be fairly easy to
> write a set of specifications for and could be implemented without too much
> difficultly over the next few months and could conceivably appear in a stable
> release of X11 later this year.  Other sub projects could be things like

This is a very good idea.  The approach needs to take care to be
forward looking so that it can work well with the most modern video
cards with exotic GPUs and RAM and older video cards which offer much
less capabilities.  Ideally there should be more functionality
available if you install a better video card so that functionality is
not dictated by the lowest common denominator.  Video card vendors and
commercial X11 server providers should be involved with this.

> I think X11 is the critical piece at this point since it sits at the center of
> almost everything on the desktop.  Until it provides some base level of CM

I totally agree.

Bob