[Openicc] L* was: MS on HDR CMS :)

Kai-Uwe Behrmann ku.b at gmx.de
Fri Feb 15 08:15:52 PST 2008

Am 15.02.08, 10:33 -0500 schrieb Chris Murphy:
> On Feb 15, 2008, at 4:26 AM, Jan-Peter Homann wrote:
> > Assumptions about the design of colormanagement workflows need
> > always to be tested in practice. The idea behind L* workingspace
> > and monitor calibration is to use the same lightness scaling as in
> > the profile connection space L*a*b*.
>
> Why is that even relevant? Why is it important? Why does it matter?
> It has no correlation to how our devices behave.

Devices behave like drivers and firmware wish.
Times of CRT's with a certain gamma are fading out.
In case of LCD's the gama behaviour is simulated by internal firmware and
quite different from the actual panel.
For inkjets at least it is all about the algorythm a driver uses and of
course its tweaking. I am not shure about offset, but would expect
similiar relation of drivers and physical behaviour.

Why should ECI use one certain gamma, when there are better means to
match human perception.

sRGB has not a gamma but a custom curve instead, and was long time
considered the ideal to build LCD monitors for. Now ECI came to the
conclusion that L* is even better. Why go backward?

> I think there is an ECI list, I should probably move this discussion
> over there as it appears to be of limited interest here.

Indeed we seem not have ECI people here to give more insigth.