[Openicc] Profile installation and association for Linux/Unix/X11

Jon A. Cruz jon at joncruz.org
Sun Apr 20 19:24:13 PDT 2008

On Apr 20, 2008, at 6:43 PM, Robert Krawitz wrote:

> It's worse than that -- a particular session may not have constant
> hardware.  For example, if you're using a SunRay or similar thin
> client, your monitor might change over the course of a single session
> (as measured by a single login).  Sessions are portable; I might go
> from one monitor to a completely different one, without logging out.

I believe that technically something else is happening. Last I knew
X11 sessions themselves were not portable, and one could not
disconnect and reconnect to them.

However, in my experience I've seen the similar net effect achieved
by using VNC. An X11 session is launched on the host computer that is
using virtual or simulated hardware. Then a viewer client connects to
that X11 server instance and displays what is going on.

And as far as dynamic hardware in general goes, yes that is a big
issue. For example, with this laptop it is not uncommon for me to
plug in an external VGA monitor, an external VGA projector, an
external DVI monitor, an HDTV via HDMI, an HDTV via Y/C, or an HDTV
via composite.

Oh, and I can often change resolution and/or frame-rate on the fly.

So applications need to make keeping proper profiles throughout such
changes an easy thing.