[Openicc] Profile installation and association for Linux/Unix/X11

Graeme Gill graeme at argyllcms.com
Tue Apr 22 00:33:40 PDT 2008

Kai-Uwe Behrmann wrote:
> Am 21.04.08, 01:58 +1000 schrieb Graeme Gill:

>>The profiles stored in the root window _ICC_PROFILE property (and the parallel
>
> Please not there are several atoms possible, according the the screen
> configuration and the number of screens:
> https://www.oyranos.org/wiki/index.php?title=Oyranos/X11_Requirements#ICC_Profiles_in_X

I was following this document <https://www.oyranos.org/wiki/index.php?title=ICC_Profiles_in_X_Specification_0.2>
Are you saying that this is now obsolete ? It doesn't cover XRandR 1.2.

> The profile location should hopefully be cleared, by previous dicussions
> on list and the draft about the OpenICC profile proposal.

I'm, not sure yet. It seems a bit more complicated than it really needs to
be though.

> Yes and no.
> So far there is a implementation in Oyranos available. It stores its
> configuration in a Elektra database. Library calls are available and a
> commandline interface:
> https://www.oyranos.org/wiki/index.php?title=Oyranos/Device_Profiles
> The above link covers as well the _ICC_PROFILE_xxx generic setup at X11
> start time by a call in .xinitrc .

I'll look into it, but I'm concerned about it's availability. It's not
good if it needs installation, and it doubles the work if it and an
independent fallback are needed.

>>Of course it would be easy enough to invent a simple text file
>>format that lives in the color directory to map profile names
>>to a device name, that will work with my particular toolset if
>>there is no particular convention to be followed.
>
> You may start such a part in Argyll. Honestly I doubt that it would be of
> much help to start different conventions for the sake of Linux/BSD. If you
> want to propos a concept, which we can be discussed here on this list and
> which is possible to follow by other implementations, that might become a
> good point.

If the infrastructure and conventions are not there currently, I'm
tempted to write an Argyll specific, interim solution to get monitor
calibration/profiles going, and then transition to more standardized
facilities as they become available.