[Openicc] Profile installation and association for Linux/Unix/X11

Graeme Gill graeme at argyllcms.com
Tue Apr 22 20:47:19 PDT 2008

Kai-Uwe Behrmann wrote:

> 0.3 was not yet commited. I have given a detailed change log for 0.3 at
> the from me mentioned www adress. I dont think these changes make 0.2
> currently obsolete.

I notice that there is some inconsistency in this draft.
Is it _ICC_PROFILE or _ICC_Profile ? Note that property names
are case sensitive in X11, so this is important. (I've assumed
all upper case in my implementation).

It would be good if there was some discussion/justification
with regard to the _ICC_PROFILE_IN_X_VERSION property. What
function is it meant to serve ?

> 0.3 would still be open for XRandR, who ever writes it.

The basic idea is simple - there should be an _ICC_PROFILE in
the XRandR 1.2 output object that corresponds with the connected monitor.
That's what the next version of dispwin will do.

>>I'm, not sure yet. It seems a bit more complicated than it really needs to
>>be though.

> Comments are welcome, just a bit more detail is required to understand
> you.

It would be useful if there was a justification for the multi directory
per user locations. Why is $HOME/.local/share/color  better than
$HOME/.color ?

Why should there be then (yet another) sub directory icc ?

This doesn't seem to be explained in the documents.

I'm not sure that the vendor/colorspace subdirectories are
at all useful for installed device associated profiles. Little
or no such organization is actually necessary, and it raises
complexity without there being any justification yet. The
vendor/colorspace organization may be useful for users storing
profiles that they want to select in applications, but I would
think that the organization could be just a suggestions.

By the time you're at

	~/.local/share/color/icc/vendor/cmyk/profile.icm
or	~/.local/share/color/icc/installed/argyll/profile.icm

I'm wondering if it's a bit ridiculous ?

The exact location isn't that important, it's the device
identification and association that's important, since
this will point to the profile location.