[Openicc] Profile installation and association for Linux/Unix/X11

Markus Raab openicc at markus-raab.org
Fri Apr 25 02:45:00 PDT 2008

Am Freitag, 25. April 2008 05:11 schrieb Graeme Gill:
> Markus Raab wrote:
> > There is no other project next to elektra trying to write a portable and
> > general purpose configuration library without dependencies.
>
> There are other loosely similar projects, libconfig for one, although
> it has single back end.

No, e.g. libconfig is a config parser and writer. The difference is that you
need to say where the configuration file resides, a non-trivial problem for
system/user cascading, the setups existing and the operating systems
available.

But a great feature of elektra is that it could be used as multiplexer
for libraries parsing and writing configuration and libconfig could be used
perfectly too (mainly because its C).

See http://www.libelektra.org/Backends#Libraries

> > We are now reaching a stable phase for 0.7 with the feature of Mounting,
> > to get an idea of it, see: http://www.libelektra.org/GetStartedMounting
> > It allows admins (and maybe even users in future) to choose what
> > configuration format they prefer dynamically at runtime similar to mount
> > and /etc/fstab for filesystems.
>
> Yes, that's the sort of thing I'm thinking would be better. I get the
> impression though that there are no really good file base back ends yet,
> e.g. something comparable to libconfig, or JSON.

Unfortunately you are absolutely right. The reason is that mounting in the yet
unreleased 0.7 is a brand-new feature. But everybody is welcome to change the
situation and write backends!

thank you
Markus Raab