[Openicc] X-RITE RM400 interface protocol

Hal V. Engel hvengel at astound.net
Sun Jun 1 13:47:37 PDT 2008

On Sunday 01 June 2008 12:11:00 Bob Safranek wrote:
>   Does anyone know if there is a public description of the interface
> protocol for
>   the X-RITE RM400 Spectrophotometer?
>
>   Even better would be an open source library to talk to it.
>
>   Thanks!
>   --bob

The specifications say :

"Interface: RS-232 serial interface with baud rates from 1200 to 19.2K
communication via RCI commands Interface"

All of the pre-merger X-Rite devices used "RCI commands" which is the protocol
for the device.  At one time the documents that covered these were available
to anyone who was an X-Rite regisitered developer (there are at least two on
this list).  But the last time I asked X-Rite for an RCI document for another
device (DTP-41B) I go no response from them at all.  I do have RCI documents
for the DTP-20 and the DTP-92/94 series devices.

In addition there is a lot of RCI related code in the ArgyllCMS meter support
libraries for a number of other devices that could serve as an augmentation to
whatever you might find elsewhere.  For most of these devices the vast
majority of the protcol is the same.  But there are minor differnces from
device to device mostly with things related to initalization and of course
differences related to the capabilities of the device.  This device appears to
be a simple spot reading meter (IE. no strip reading capabilities) and I would
guess that it's command set is very similar to the DTP-22 which is supported
by the ArgyllCMS meter code.

In any case you should contact X-Rite support and ask them for the RCI
document for the device.  With that documentation in hand if should be
possible to clone and modify one of the existing RCI based interfaces in the
ArgyllCMS meter code to handle this device.  But you should expect this to
take a significant amount of effort.

Hal