[Openicc] Proposed "ucmm" display profile configuration convention used by ArgyllCMS.

Alastair M. Robinson blackfive at fakenhamweb.co.uk
Mon Jun 2 02:39:28 PDT 2008

Hi :)

Graeme Gill wrote:

> I'm thinking that "profiles" is more user friendly, since it's generic
> rather than being technology specific, which requires more detailed technical
> knowledge to recognize.

"profiles" may well be more user-friendly, or at least user-oriented -
and if the convention for $PREFIX/share/color/icc weren't already
established, I'd agree with you - however, seeing as that convention
*is* already established, I can't help feeling that using something
different would be more confusing that helpful.  Take a hypothetical
piece of software which supports ICC profiles, but doesn't yet support
the XICC specification for identifying the monitor profile; selecting
the monitor profile manually will be confusing if that one specific
profile is in a different path from the others.

Oh, there's already one other kind of data you might find in
$PREFIX/share/color, by the way - the autotools Argyll package puts the
reference files in $PREFIX/share/color/argyll/ref

All the best,
--
Alastair M. Robinson