[Openicc] Ghostscript CMS [was: PDF frustration]

Leonard Rosenthol leonardr at pdfsages.com
Mon Dec 1 02:43:47 PST 2008

On Dec 1, 2008, at 2:24 AM, Ralph Giles wrote:
> If I understand the confusion here correctly: PDF does always specify
> the colour space in which blending occurs (as do all the other page
> description languages with transparency).

	Actually, it doesn't.

	A "general" PDF is not required to declare a blending space - in
which case the "conforming reader" (to use the ISO 32000 terminology)
is free to choose the blending space it wishes.  Acrobat/Reader, for
example, choose ICCBasedCMYK with the user's "working space" as the
actual profile.

	On the other hand, a PDF/X-4 or PDF/X-5 compliant file is required to
have either an explicit blending space - or in the case where it does
not, then the OutputIntent profile defines the blending space.

Leonard