[Openicc] OpenPrinting Summit 2009 - April 8-10 on the Linux Foundation Collaboration Summit in San Francisco

Till Kamppeter till.kamppeter at gmail.com
Sun Dec 28 04:37:07 PST 2008

Hi,

as announced on the last Linux Foundation Collaboration Summit we are
rescheduling the yearly OpenPrinting Summit to be on the Linux
Foundation Collaboration Summit. This will happen for the first time in
2009, on April 8-10 when we meet, together with the LF Summit in San
Francisco.

The move of the OpenPrinting Summit gives us the possibility to have
joint meetings with other working groups with which we collaborate, like
the Desktop Architects, the Driver Backports, the LSB and perhpas
others. We will also have the opportunity to get more important people,
for example desktop/application developers and ISVs to participate in
our meetings without extra travel expenses.

So we will have an even greater meeting of free software developers for
printing infrastructure, drivers, renderers (GhostScript, XPDF, ...),
document-producing applications, desktop environments, Open Source
Operating Systems (Linux, *BSD, OpenSolaris, ...), Linux distributions,
printer manufacturers, the OpenPrinting workgroup ... and it will be
continued to discuss about how to make printing with free software
easier and better, so that it "just works".

Suggested main topics are:

1. Integrating color management as standard part into the printing
workflow. In Mac OS X this is already standard. In Linux this is really
missing. The PDF printing workflow is already the first step towards it.

2. Printer (hardware) testing and self-verification program with
branding. We need to create a procedure for that, so that hardware
vendors can tell potential customers that there devices work with Linux.

3. Having more eyes on desktops and applications, about which printing
dialogs they use the quality of their PostScript or PDF output, whether
they switched already to PDF, ..., regreesions, ... A lot of printing
problems are caused due to bad quality of the printing part of applications.

More topics to come (your suggestions welcome) ...

Please mark you calendars.

A happy new year to everyone!

    Till