[Openicc] Google Summer of Code 2009: Oyranos CUPS backend

Kai-Uwe Behrmann ku.b at gmx.de
Wed Aug 19 02:59:01 PDT 2009

Am 19.08.09, 11:16 +0200 schrieb Till Kamppeter:
> Kai-Uwe Behrmann wrote:
>> What I do not know is, how to distinct the colour related PPD options from
>> the non relevant to make selection dependent on say "gamma" but not on
>> "paper size". Would you know a way how to select ppd_attr_t attributes
>> according to their influence on colour?
>
> Principally one cannot read from a PPD option whether it influences color or
> not.

This will it make harder to get PPD to ICC profile mapping outside of the
CUPS cupsICCProfile scheme. The need of root access to do proper colour
management is yet clearly a limit.

On the other side Oyranos needs to know if a PPD option or attribute is
relevant for colour or not to do CM configuration outside of the
cupsICCProfile scheme.

E.g. a user printing to remote printer or on a system without root rights
she can not locally assign a ICC profile to a given PPD in the Oyranos
DB and keep flexibility without complicated tweaking. But exactly that was
the goal we where aiming at in this years GSoC projects.

> ICC profiles can be associated to choices of up to three options, by default
> to ColorModel, MediaType, and Resolution:
>
> *cupsICCProfile ColorModel.MediaType.Resolution/Description: "filename"
> *cupsICCProfile RGB.GlossyPhoto.1200dpi/High-Quality Photo on Glossy Photo
> Paper: "Acme-PhotoStar-RGB-GlossyPhoto-1200.icc"
>
> Instead of MediaType and Resolution two other options can be used with
> definitions like:
>
> *cupsICCQualifier2: Quality
> *cupsICCQualifier3: ImageType
>
> See http://www.cups.org/documentation.php/doc-1.4/spec-ppd.html

Yes thats the next stage to support in order get the backend functional
with cupsICCProfile.