[Openicc] [Gimp-print-devel] [Printing-architecture] Colour

Graeme Gill graeme at argyllcms.com
Fri Nov 13 22:11:52 PST 2009

Chris Murphy wrote:
> filter, and also ColorSync) to not convert the target. Presently on Mac OS the
> application of choice is Photoshop, with which we are presently having problems because
> the No Color Management based PDF spool file has different profiles set for the profile
> target object, and OutputIntent, causing ColorSync to color manage. It autoconfigures
> newer print driver settings correctly, but the PDF spool file is malformed, so we get a
> converted profile target.

Yes, basically this is a really dumb API for turning color management off.
The right way to do it is to have a flag that turns color management off,
rather than relying on the software to figure out what profile is being
used for the end device, and labeling the file as already being in that
space. It's easy to demonstrate that this is sematically incorrect -
if you were to spool the file and then replay it after the device
profile has been changed, it will print incorrectly.