[Openicc] [Gimp-print-devel] [Printing-architecture] Colour

Alastair M. Robinson blackfive at fakenhamweb.co.uk
Sat Nov 14 02:16:46 PST 2009

Hi :)

Michael Sweet wrote:

> I humbly suggest that what you want is a utility that allows the user to
> print targets and generate/install ICC profiles for a particular
> combination of printer, media, and other settings. If you have to select
> a profile at print time, then the printing workflow is broken.

I have to disagree here.  I have three different "grades" of glossy
photo paper here, from different manufacturers.  In terms of the amount
of ink they'll take, and thus the correct print settings, they're pretty
much identical, but prints do look different on each, and they have a
very different "feel".  Which of the three I use depends on how
"prestigious" I want a print to look, traded off against whether I want
to use the most expensive paper.

Each paper type has (and needs) its own profile, yet the printer driver
has no way of telling which of the three I'm using since the print
settings are identical.  Thus, in my opinion, a printing workflow which
doesn't allow me to set a profile at print time is broken.

At best the print dialog can select a sane *default* profile, but it's
imperative that if the user "knows better" it can be overridden.

All the best
--
Alastair M. Robinson