[Openicc] [Gimp-print-devel] [Printing-architecture] Colour

Michael Sweet msweet at apple.com
Mon Nov 16 14:43:02 PST 2009

On Nov 16, 2009, at 2:25 PM, edmund ronald wrote:
> So, if we tag an image with eg. Generic RGB, it should pass through
> the print system unmodded?

Depends on the printer driver; some drivers say they take AdobeRGB or sRGB, so you'd need to tag accordingly.  The idea is that you match the source profile to the destination profile so that ColorSync doesn't try to convert anything.

> But is this *should* or is it*does* when
> one has an Epson? Will this work with the Epson/Preview combo?
> Because if yes, then we can write a script to tag the target image
> with GenericRGB, print it out interactively with Preview,  thereby
> avoiding Photoshop and its own issues, and hey-presto, target printing
> works again and lots of people can sleep better!

Well, let's just say that you are left with just dealing with the Epson driver issues, namely that you need to disable the Epson color correction options (but that is something you can do "automatically" with presets...)

There is also a workaround command you'll need to run (once) to fix the PPD files for some Epson printers; more once I get the details from the engineer that has been working on it...