[Openicc] ICC Profiles in X Specification 0.4

Richard Hughes hughsient at gmail.com
Tue Mar 23 07:15:44 PDT 2010

I'm looking at the following page:
http://www.oyranos.org/wiki/index.php?title=ICC_Profiles_in_X_Specification_0.4

Now, my understanding is, we now should be setting the indexed
_ICC_DEVICE_PROFILE_xxx atom for the device output space, and ALSO the
_ICC_PROFILE_xx for the document space. This seems a little crazy.

Why not just set the _ICC_PROFILE as a property on the XRandR output
(which is per-output) and then have a single _ICC_PROFILE as the
per-root-window document space? I really don't see why we're putting
output specific data on the root-window, when XRandR already exposes
the concept of outputs. And it's also backwards compatible this way,
and much, much simpler. The late-color-bound plugin (compiz, or
whatever) is in a perfect place to decide what part of what window is
on each output, and to do the trivial color conversion. It also allows
the user to switch between early and late color binding very easily,
although the former needs the application to understand indexed
_ICC_PROFILE atoms.

I'm really not happy about the amount of complexity the indexed
_ICC_PROFILE and _ICC_DEVICE_PROFILE atoms are adding, and I'm sure
end-applications don't like it either. GCM supports ICC_Profiles in X
Specification 0.3, and I really don't like where 0.4 is going, with
the complete lack of peer review.

Sorry to be blunt.

Richard.