[Openicc] ICC Profiles in X Specification 0.4

Anders Brander anders at brander.dk
Wed Mar 24 12:04:31 PDT 2010

Hi,

On Wed, 2010-03-24 at 18:14 +0000, Richard Hughes wrote:
> > Applications have a advantage to directly render into monitor device space.
> > This is known as early or application side colour binding.
> > Reasons might be to get more control about buffer formats and the rendering
> > process.
> Can you give examples?

As a application developer I can chime in here. In an application I
co-develop, we convert from 16-bit (or in some cases float) linear space
directly to monitor space. Going through an intermediate 8-bit
(non-linear) step would introduce banding.

I assume the same is true for every other higher bit depth applications.

/Anders Brander