[Openicc] Devicelink profiles and accompanying metadata

Kai-Uwe Behrmann ku.b at gmx.de
Mon Apr 5 13:15:30 PDT 2010

Am 05.04.10, 17:09 +0100 schrieb Alastair M. Robinson:

> Hi :)
>
> Kai-Uwe Behrmann wrote:
>
>> They would become visible in the general ICC profile path.
>> How does you think software can select these profiles? What shall the UI
>> show to the user or how can the selection happen automatic?
>
> Well these issues are the reason for my question - I wanted to know
> whether anyone else had given it any thought, and whether there was any
> consensus on the right way to handle devicelinks, before putting too
> much time into it myself.

It would be nice to have.

> I can only speak for my own software, but currently I display a
> Descriptive name for a profile if possible, and the filename if not.
> The ProfileSelector widget used in PhotoPrint, CMYKTool, etc., has a
> flag which the application can use to choose whether or not devicelinks
> will be included in the list of profiles.

After thinking a bit about. A UI, profile selector, would need to know
about the input and output profiles. It will be difficult to see rendering
intent, bpc, proofing profile ...  Maybe thats where the Metadata tag
would come nice into play.

Oyranos does its transform caching as device links as well. Maybe
shared meta data tag semantics would make sense. Then apps can see cached
colour transforms in /usr/var/color/icc/devicelink/ or something like
that.

> I don't know how good or otherwise the support for Devicelinks is in
> other software, or how much havoc their appearance in standard search
> paths would cause - would it be better to create a new directory for
> these (say, XDG_DATA_HOME/color/devicelink or
> XDG_DATA_HOME/color/icc_devicelink) or just cache them privately?

It depends how well specified the meta data are and if they can be used
for something. If not it makes less sense to appear in the profile path.

>> Consider the 'psid' tag?
>
> The profiles I intend to create will be created using the ArgyllCMS
> command-line utilities - so I guess I'd need to write some kind of
> "injector" utility to add such a tag after the profile's created (unless
> there's some utility already out there that I don't know about yet?).
> Other than that, it sounds like an ideal solution.

Oyranos writes psid. Grep for icSigProfileSequenceIdentifierType to see
the code. Be careful with the md5 hash sum. Its ICC specific.