[Openicc] Google Summer of Code 2009: Oyranos CUPS backend

Kai-Uwe Behrmann ku.b at gmx.de
Sun May 16 03:03:43 PDT 2010

Hello,

the CUPS backend needs to tell Oyranos, which PPD colour related entries
a PPD has. These entries are used to select a meaningful user configured
ICC profile.

Could you imagine a PPD entry, which solely lists all colour related
entries? Something like:
*colourKeyWords: "ColorModel;StpColorPrecision;MediaType;StpQuality;Resolution;StpInkSet;StpInkType;StpBrightness;StpFineBrightness;StpContrast;StpFineContrast;StpSaturation;StpFineSaturationStpImageType"
Note this example is incomplete.

A disadvantage might by that it has to be included into every PPD. For a
driver with a large number of supperted printers and hence many PPDs like
the Gutenprint one, it would mean to repeat that stuff. The advantage is
a included PPD entry would be very simple to parse along the CUPS
delivered PPD.

Would this path be acceptable for foomatic, Gutenprint and hplib and
other vendors?