[Openicc] Google Summer of Code 2009: Oyranos CUPS backend

Chris Murphy lists at colorremedies.com
Mon May 17 13:58:48 PDT 2010

A couple things about the "three generic profiles" idea is that it might be just two, e.g. for electrophotostatic devices. So I'm not stuck on three. As for the generic part, if it's just as easy to support custom profiles in a remote soft proof context, and the concomitant user interface and user experience that would need to go along with it so everything is intuitive, then OK. But I don't necessarily think the vast majority of users expect this level of capability from the OS or its services.

Getting in the ballpark is not just fine, it's expected. Getting closer than that is what some of the OS companies refer to as "a 3rd party opportunity".

There are high end products that specialize in soft proofing (and hard proofing), including remote soft and hard proofing. The one with which I'm most familiar runs on Linux (Mac OS and Windows): Serendipity Software's Blackmagic and Veripress.

Anyway, just an idea.