[Openicc] Fedora CM, was: Google Summer of Code . . .

Chris Murphy lists at colorremedies.com
Wed May 19 10:30:20 PDT 2010

I don't have an ample enough developer/programmer vocabulary to completely understand all of this. And further I have a very Mac OS centric view, so I don't thoroughly understand the Linux view which seems to be quite fractured. So if I say something totally ignorant, it's because I am, not because I'm being a dick. :-)

But, it would be nice if there were a way for all Linux distributions to agree upon some very basic things. Very basic for me is the creation of a default display profile (hopefully based on EDID if possible), and a way for applications to request it. That way developers don't need to create a display profile, find a place to save it independent of other applications, and users don't need to be bothered with finding and setting it themselves. It is the year 2010 after all, we're supposed to be heading to Jupiter for the 2nd time by now . . .

So this is the ignorant person's question, which is more of a culture question, maybe even a licensing one: is it not possible for distributions to agree on some extremely basic things, and get them in place in more than one distribution? For application developers and for users, the number one thing in color management that is constantly coming up for both of them is the setting and discovery of a display profile. If that could be automagical across many distributions, that would be huge. So what would it take to get agreement among the top distributions to enable this one thing in the same way?

Chris Murphy