[Openicc] Fedora CM, was: Google Summer of Code . . .

Richard Hughes hughsient at gmail.com
Thu May 20 05:09:42 PDT 2010

On 20 May 2010 10:15, Kai-Uwe Behrmann <ku.b at gmx.de> wrote:
> CM integration in Xorg, GTK, Cairo and so on is fine. Chris' questions came
> up as he had read that you want to work on CM preferences, device detection
> and configuration and integration into the toolkit (Gtk). This sounds
> exactly like CMS work. And as long as we have no other and better term this
> one will easily be used.

Well, I don't feel GCM is a CMS. It's just a central place to:

* get the profile associated with a device
* assign profiles to devices
* create profiles for devices
* change the session defaults for CM aware applications
* view details about profiles

> Qt is rather large for a CMS and in C++. GObject seems far from being easily
> debuggable. In contrast the used object system is relatively lightwight and
> very well debuggable with standard means.

I've not found a bug in GObject in 5 years of using it. My point was
that someone else had already invented an object and type system, and
it's already been debugged. Re-inventing the wheel (and forcing people
to use your custom object system if they use your library) isn't
palatable to most maintainers. Adding to that, not using pkgconfig
makes it even harder to integrate.

> Naming and their translations are hard to keep in sync. Do you have some
> special project in mind, where it happens that different projects use the
> same names for the same thing?

I don't think that there is much to standardize. "perceptual" ->
"Perceptual"  and that kind of thing looks pretty obvious.
Translations are also different depending on your DE, as a GNOME "Log
out" may be a KDE "Exit session". I think it makes sense to agree what
the enumerated constants should be, and the technical word, and just
let the translators do their thing. GCM refers to a profile with a
VCGT tag as having "display correction" and that kind of thing
probably needs discussing also.

Richard.