[Openicc] Fedora CM, was: Google Summer of Code . . .

Bob Friesenhahn bfriesen at simple.dallas.tx.us
Fri May 21 09:04:37 PDT 2010

On Fri, 21 May 2010, Hal V. Engel wrote:

> On Friday 21 May 2010 01:57:45 am Richard Hughes wrote:
>> Lets assume there are approximately a billion personal computers, i.e.
>> desktops and laptops. Lets say 0.5% of them are being used with a
>> fairly up to date Linux, which I think is somewhat optimistic. That's
>> 5 million Linux desktops to aim for.
>
> I see this type of think fairly often on Linux forums and email lists.  But
> are only 0.5% of end user machines running Linux?

All the estimates I have seen are based on monitoring of web browser
identification strings at certain web sites.  Quite naturally,
Windows, Mac, Linux, *BSD, and Solaris users tend to visit different
web sites, which makes any scheme based on browser identification
strings rather suspect.  In the case of Solaris, many "desktops" may
be based on one central server, which throws off the accounting even
more.  The desktops could be based on SunRay type devices, or
VirtualBox could be used to host many different OSs on the same
system.

Bob
--
Bob Friesenhahn