[Openicc] Fedora CM, was: Google Summer of Code . . .

Chris Murphy lists at colorremedies.com
Fri May 21 20:35:25 PDT 2010

On May 21, 2010, at 7:49 PM, Robert Krawitz wrote:

> What does this have to do with Android?  Well, the problem is,
> "precious little".  There's nothing that says that the userland *has*
> to be the stack above; that's just the stack normally used on "Linux"
> systems.  It might be some kind of embedded stack that might have very
> little that looks even vaguely like a UNIX environment, and its
> graphics system may not even be based on X.  It probably isn't using
> either GNOME or KDE, so any color management at that level won't be of
> any use.

This is why I keep suggesting basic color management functionality, in particular display compensation, is something that should be lower than the desktop environment.

GNOME, KDE, or "other" should all be able to opt-in and get an EDID or user specified display profile and have display compensation performed. At this point it is a very basic need even for regular users. Wide gamut displays are becoming more common. Laptop displays are even more ubiquitous and their color space is also unlike sRGB. Color managing displays could be very easy and require zero user input except in the special case of soft proofing, which is much more related to printing than it is mere sRGB/Adobe RGB to actual display RGB transformations with a single (fairly) obvious rendering intent.