[Openicc] Fedora CM, was: Google Summer of Code . . .

John Pybus john at pybus.org
Fri May 21 16:33:10 PDT 2010

Chris Murphy wrote:

> 1. For all practical purposes Linux forms the basis of Android.
> Gartner expects Android to take over the iPhone by 2012. It doesn't
> matter if that happens or not, what does matter is that the number of
> handheld devices running Android is significant and likely will
> continue to be significant.

For most practical purposes it is more sensible to consider Android as
a separate OS.  It does make use of a (pretty heavily customised) Linux
kernel, but almost the entire userland is custom.  In particular, the
display system and graphical toolkit bare no resemblance to those used
in other Linux environments.

Not to dissuade people from the valiant task of integrating CM into the
Linux desktop, I just wouldn't justify it with Android market share.

For what little it's worth, I strongly support work towards agreed
standards on interfaces rather than any shared implementation.  History
suggests that Gnome and KDE are rather good at implementing freedesktop
standards, and not so hot on sharing actual code.  You can consider this
inefficient, but that's the way it is.

Making changes to community software is as much a social as a technical
task, and no matter how confident one is in one's technical approach,
getting code included into Desktop Environments and Distros depends on
being able to fit in with the expectations of those communities of devs
and maintainers.

Best,
John