[Openicc] Fedora CM, was: Google Summer of Code . . .

Hal V. Engel hvengel at astound.net
Sat May 22 09:50:28 PDT 2010

On Friday 21 May 2010 01:46:38 pm Markus Raab wrote:
> Hi!
>
> Hal V. Engel wrote:
> > I see this type of think fairly often on Linux forums and email lists.
> >  But are only 0.5% of end user machines running Linux?
>
> If you say "end user machines" and not desktop there are complete different
> figures. Think about blue-ray player, sat receiver, mobile computer, smart
> phones,..
>
> regards Markus

This refers to computers including laptop machines.  It was not about blue-ray
players, sat receivers or smart phones (smart phone didn't were not widely
used in 2004).  But it would include mobile (laptop, net book...) computers.

You are right that if you look at appliances (IE. devices with embedded
systems) like set top boxes. smart phones, routers... that there are now huge
numbers of these devices most of which are linux based and these could now out
number actual end user (as opposed to server) computers.  But the article I
was referring to was making the distinction between servers and desktop plus
laptop machines.

Hal