[Openicc] ICC meta tag in device profiles

Richard Hughes hughsient at gmail.com
Wed Oct 27 00:54:57 PDT 2010

On 27 October 2010 08:13, Kai-Uwe Behrmann <ku.b at gmx.de> wrote:
> These key/value pairs are as well stored inside the Oyranos DB. The profiles
> are shown in kolor-manager for a given device on top of all other assignable
> ICC profiles. This priorisation shall help users to first select ICC profile
> which fit to a given device.

Sounds very similar to gnome-color-manager -- i.e. the mapping is
stored in device-profiles.conf [1] -- and I think it makes sense to
standardize at least a few common keys.

> I am not shure if kolor-manager is the best place to embedd
> device and driver informations into a ICC profile. As kolor-manager has few
> capabilities to change driver informations. However the association of a ICC
> profile to a colour device might appear intuitive and embedding this
> information into a ICC profile logical.

GCM can generate profiles (either from the EDID, using the hardware
itself, or using argyllcms) so embedding extra data isn't really hard
to do at generation time as we're already mapped to a device. I'm not
sure it makes sense to embed user-preference data, i.e. "make this
profile default for this device".

> I currently think, embedding makes most sense to administrate and remember a
> association of ICC profiles with a device. So I am not shure if the meta tag
> is the right thing to let end users fiddle with.

No, in my opinion the metadata makes a lot of sense to embed things
like the generated md5 hash of the edid, but not the actual mapping
data. At the moment, edid-generated profiles have the edid md5 in the
filename, which GCM uses to recognize them as generated, but this is a
hack.

> The key/values of libXcm can be formally published and explained to allow
> vendors or advanced users to generate ICC profiles fitting certain devices
> for distribution.

For me, I need to wait until lcms2 supports the dict type as I'm not
doing the ICC decoding in GCM internally anymore. Marti, what are your
plans for adding support for the dict type?

Richard.

[1] http://live.gnome.org/GnomeColorManager#Mapping_the_device_to_the_profile