[Openicc] ICC meta tag in device profiles

Richard Hughes hughsient at gmail.com
Wed Oct 27 02:28:08 PDT 2010

On 27 October 2010 09:40, Kai-Uwe Behrmann <ku.b at gmx.de> wrote:
> If you reread, you might see that the device and driver information is
> already inside the ICC profile, which is the matter of the article.

Well, I wanted to be able to match to udev properties, and things like
that. I couldn't find a spec page anyware.

> I would not go with underscore which can easily collide with vendor strings.
> As well I disagree with many false statements on your side. Or can this page
> just be called biased writing?

Sure, I'm biased to GCM, I'm sure there is no surprise there.

> * assign device to ICC - store the above infos in the ICC profile
>  itself, where to do best?

This is what worries me. What if the same profile is associated with
two monitors? The mapping would have to deal with situations like
this. If you just encode "this profile maps to device with edid md5
AC4DE5A.." then that won't work.

> I mentioned libXcm as nice place to share common keys and deliver values
> originating from EDID. These keys and allowed values can be documented to
> deliver meaningful data for the meta tag. Vendors have then a relative
> independent means to prepare and verify their ICC profiles will be easily
> assignable.

I don't think parsing the EDID is that interesting as a problem, I
think the more interesting part is how to encode the data from the
EDID into the profile in a meaningful and useful way.

Richard.