[Openicc] ICC meta tag in device profiles

Richard Hughes hughsient at gmail.com
Wed Oct 27 03:18:51 PDT 2010

On 27 October 2010 11:00, Kai-Uwe Behrmann <ku.b at gmx.de> wrote:
> Can you outline the udev properties? How do they relate to which device
> classes?

Well, for instance a digital camera we might want to map to a serial
number or model number.

>>> I would not go with underscore which can easily collide with vendor
>>> strings.
>>> As well I disagree with many false statements on your side. Or can this
>>> page
>>> just be called biased writing?
>>
>> Sure, I'm biased to GCM, I'm sure there is no surprise there.
>
> kolor-manager is explicitely mentioned with new features in my original
> post. And you answere with a link to a page under your control which still
> states that that very project is dead. Biased was only a polite expression.

Well, I didn't know kolor manager had an active community. I've
removed the bit about it being a dead project, apologies.

> If you want to criticise stay on facts not fiction and skip such unpolite
> links. We are not on the Gnome marketing channel here.

Dude, relax. I pointed you to a specific part of the page where I
discuss how GCM maps the profile to the device. I figured that was a
relevant link, considering we were discussing how profiles should map
to devices.

> Then a profile editor needs to be in place to remove the serial entry for
> instance and remain the colorimetrical, manufacturer and model strings or
> extend those string to certain values and ranges. I would suggest IccXML for
> that. A tutorial could explain howto.

No, I disagree. Any time we force the user to "edit a profile" then
we've failed to provide a good user experience. If editing involves
looking at and changing XML, then I double disagree.

If there is no agreed standard on how to treat the dict tag, then I
would ask you to prefix all the keys with "oy-", and I'll prefix all
mine with "gcm-" and then we can agree on common parts later.

Richard.