[Openicc] [ANNOUNCE] Compicc 0.8.3

Kai-Uwe Behrmann ku.b at gmx.de
Tue Nov 30 03:44:08 PST 2010

Am 30.11.10, 22:27 +1100 schrieb Graeme Gill:
> Kai-Uwe Behrmann wrote:
>> Exactly. But is not this kind of hardware going nearly completely away?
>> I mean most computer to monitor paths are D/D.
>
> I would not assume so. Display port makes > 8 bit/component paths more
> common again, and potentially the VCGT might be sent to the monitors
> internal 1D LUTs, which are typically much better than 8 bits.

VCGT has no advantage with DP and > 8 bit/component.
Putting VCGT into the monitors LUTs would be great to come. But the
one existing device I know of on Linux is extremly slow for that feature.

Still, for most users with traditional 8-bit per component paths VCGT
means only: no software can render to the full available precission, e.g.
180 instead of 255 levels of gray. So it increases just banding for no
benefit compared to a situation without a colour server.