[Openicc] [ANNOUNCE] Compicc 0.8.3

Richard Hughes hughsient at gmail.com
Wed Dec 1 00:48:38 PST 2010

On 1 December 2010 00:21, Graeme Gill <graeme at argyllcms.com> wrote:
> That sounds like a system organisation issue. If there is
> a way of setting up and tracking what video lut values are
> set at system boot, there would be no need to check them
> each time you start a session.

GCM does this per-session too, as the settings are retrieved from a
system default location and also from the users settings (either GConf
or GSettings) -- this allows fast user switching to work correctly
when users have different profiles or preferences.

I don't really have session start speed issues. Using native X calls,
at startup most time is spent:

* ~50ms for setting the gamma ramps
* ~300ms for setting the X _ICC_PROFILE atoms

If using DDC/CI to upload profile data to the display (for instance
for a dreamcolor display) this adds another 150ms.

Of course, at GNOME login all background tasks like gcm-apply are done
in parallel and in the background, so a 350ms "delay" at login is not
noticeable. If things were needed to be faster, setting the x atoms
seems to be the slow path by a long way, and these could be issued in
separate threads. At the moment, other GNOME startup tasks take quite
a lot longer than 350ms.

Richard.