[Openicc] ICC meta Tag for Monitor Profiles - DRAFT 1

Kai-Uwe Behrmann ku.b at gmx.de
Wed Dec 1 02:00:17 PST 2010

Am 30.11.10, 20:01 -0000 schrieb Richard Hughes:
> On 30 November 2010 13:43, Kai-Uwe Behrmann <ku.b at gmx.de> wrote:
>> Detailed instructions how to decode EDID can be obtained from VESA through
>> the Enhanced Extended Display Identification Data Standard (E-EDID) - Rel.
>> A, 1.0 .
>
> I'm thinking aloud here, but ff we're just matching a profile to an
> EDID, surely just the sha1 hash of the EDID would suffice? Do we
> _need_ to know about the display manufacture year in the ICC profile?
>
> Richard.

This was already mentioned in the Discussion section:

==Discussion==
A tag to embed the complete EDID data block is defined. But that serves
different goals. Namely it is not possible to support a wider range of
devices by this approach.
To create a generic meta tag, the serial number and possibly production
times need to be stripped from the meta tag, if they are considered non
relevant in regards of colour rendering. Most monitors series will be well
identified by the model_id and mnft_id entries. Others might need the
colour_matrix_text_from_edid_redx_redy_greenx_greeny_bluex_bluey_whitex_whit
ey_gamma
if they can switch colour spaces.
The "week", "year", "mnft_id" and "model_id" keys might contain value
ranges as allowed by the ICC meta tag definition.