[Openicc] ICC meta Tag for Monitor Profiles

Chris Murphy lists at colorremedies.com
Thu Dec 2 06:22:39 PST 2010

I am curious about the actual usage case with examples so I can better understand the purpose of this meta tag, in particular in the context of the generic meta tag need.

My gut reaction to a device serial number is that it should not be stripped because that could be useful in automating the pairing between profile and display so that users don't have to do this. During production, displays do change behavior, even if the manufacturer and model stay the same. So I question the value of a profile with a generic meta tag, which is why I'm asking for a usage case scenario.

If the scenario is this notion of downloading ICC profiles for a make/model of display, I think this has pretty much proven to be just short of a disaster. I don't think display profiles should be made available for downloading from a web site, or in an system/driver update. Ever. Manufacturers have regularly shown complete disregard for basic requirements in building valid ICC profiles for their displays. I think it's better to insist that EDID data be, a.) correct, and b.) upon connection to a computer, the automatic creation of an ICC profile to occur, and the relevant EDID data to be embedded in that ICC profile.

Chris Murphy