[Openicc] d-bus in CUPS server? [was: colord 0.1.0 released!]

Richard Hughes hughsient at gmail.com
Fri Jan 14 03:04:14 PST 2011

On 14 January 2011 10:57, Kai-Uwe Behrmann <ku.b at gmx.de> wrote:
> cupsdRegisterColorProfiles() appers to be acting in
> server side code. So the desktop d-bus messages are supposed to
> hook really into CUPS server?

No. The session talks to colord, and cups talks to colord. cups only
needs to talk to a system activated well known system bus name, and
we're assuming both colord and cups are trusted. We only assume the
session is hostile, as if you have hostile code running as uid 0 you
have bigger problems than what color comes out of the printer.

I've got a bit architecture plan on a whiteboard in my office, which
I'll be uploading either as ascii art or an svg in the near future.

>  That would as well happen in client side land, where
> d-bus is not become that much a problem.

DBus in the daemons is no big deal. You can't actually boot a modern
Linux distro without libdbus or a system bus installed.

Richard.