[Openicc] colord 0.1.0 released!

edmund ronald edmundronald at gmail.com
Mon Jan 17 06:43:00 PST 2011

The colord authors seem to be smart people who are engaging the user
community. They deserve my respect.

However I would agree that the print problems of a certain "other"
fruity OS are proving untractable, and it is not obvious that the same
architectural choices should be introduced to Linux.

The "other OS" has been very reluctant to provide options for pros who
color manage upstream, and this has created considerable controversy.

However, no one seems to have noticed is that the other OS has not
really allowed individual print setting serialisation, and
profile/paper association, going instead for a "bundled install"
approach. Of course, this has been partly motivated by vendors desire
for control. The complexity of actually getting a correct print from a
third-party paper with a third-party profile on "fruit" is much
greater than that of "just" telling the vendor's driver to print from
RGB on a given vendor paper.

Edmund