[Openicc] SANE device color management

Greg Troxel gdt at ir.bbn.com
Mon Jan 17 10:43:08 PST 2011

Richard Hughes <hughsient at gmail.com> writes:

> At the moment, gnome-color-manager uses libsane to get the list of
> scanner devices, which allows it to calibrate the scanner and also
> allows applications like gnome-scan to request the correct color
> profile to embed in any scanned documents.
>
> I would like to move the libsane dependency to colord in the next
> version of gnome-color-manager, so scanner devices can be autoassigned
> in the future like the other device types.
>
> The only hesitation I've got in doing so, is because this would
> require using libsane as the colord execution user, currently root.
> I'm not sure if using libsane as root is a really bad idea or whether
> I'm worrying about nothing. I sure couldn't find anything in google.
>
> Knowledge welcome, thanks.

I think it's best to keep dependencies to an absolute minimum.

It might make sense to have a small program that links with libsane and
to have that packaged separately, and have the core colord try to call
it having dropped privileges.   That would then enable other ways to
enumerate scanners on platforms where there's some better-than-sane way
(not sure if there are, but it seems unsound to presume there aren't).