[Openicc] Assigning icc profiles to driver settings

Kai-Uwe Behrmann ku.b at gmx.de
Tue Jan 18 09:54:44 PST 2011

Am 18.01.11, 17:26 +0100 schrieb Jan-Peter Homann:
> During the discussion started with colord, one important topic is the
> association of an icc profile to a printer driver setting.
>
> Currently, it seems to me, that we have following possibilities:
>
> 1) PPD colour keywords:
> The PPD for a given printer must be able, to describe all color relevant
> driver settings with all parameters (incl. low level driver settings if
> necessary)
> an ICC profile will be assigned to a proper parametrized PPD and the PPD will
> completely set up the color options in the printer driver.

Oyranos has this implemented as a configuration backend. A public
interface is still missed, but I expect the over all scheme to work
similiar to Xorg. That is, install a ICC profile prepared with device
settings in the meta tag and all user of the actual system see the
according profiles associated to the according device. (Driver settings
are handled in windowing environments typical by the vcgt tag.) That
happens already completely without user interaction, except of installing
the profile.

> 2) Driver settings implemented as metadata-information into the ICC-profile
> Like with the PPD-workflow, all color relebant printer driver settings are
> stored as metadata into the ICC-profile. The printer driver must be able to
> extract this information from the ICC profile and will be completely setup by
> the ICC-profile itself.

I had a ICC tag proposal some time ago to embed a driver information blob.
But I think, putting the energy into the 'meta' tag is much more straight
forward. Well, sizes could be different. But thats maybe not an issue.

> 3) serialized driver settings
> The driver settings are able to be serialized (which optimally able to be
> exported and imported)
> The ICC-profile will be associated with the serial ID of the driver setting.

In my findings in Oyranos, I moved away from a ID approach. That approach
has much problems with, what the colour community tries to achieve in this
discussion.
I think we need better implicite colour management, see my annotation
above how Oyranos handles this extremenly well for Xorg.

The other point is we need flexibility. Once the profile changes the ID
breaks and things are lost. During the gsoc projects we learned in the
Oyranos project that the cost to implement a full featured solution is
well worth the investment. Currently Oyranos is able to base all colour
devices on the same relyable principles. Its flexible to scale for many
use cases like vendor and user side setups. Its unified and thus easier
maintainable. The precondition are meta informations coming from the
drivers and devices. The Oyranos has spent time to deliver a patch to the
SANE project. For CUPS is the ColorKeyWords PPD attribute intented for the
same purpose.

> It would be interesting to know, which of these ways are preferred by the
> community.

I much prefere the PPD to meta tag serialisation combined with PPD
ColorKeyWords tagging of colour relevance for attributes.

If a driver needs more informations, like Robart has repeatedly stated,
then I would recommend storing these informations along side the meta
tag by extenting its interpretation. Thus it fits very nice into the above
outlined scheme. The meta tag has displayable and data sections separatly.
Thus embeding should not be a problem usability wise.