[Openicc] Assigning icc profiles to driver settings

edmund ronald edmundronald at gmail.com
Tue Jan 18 17:14:29 PST 2011

> Because it's compact, and quite easily read and written by computer ?
> Because the code to read and write ICC profile tags is already present,
> and there's no need to introduce another separate library to
> do a similar thing ? (You certainly don't want users to have to use a
> text editor to configure the printer!)

Actually, yes, I do want power users to *be able to* use the text
editor to create print recipes,
If they really are power users I want them to be able to change
*anything* with the least use of tools.
This is infinitely better than having to wade through painful menu
after painful menu.
When doing my Gutenprint testing I never seem to know which submenu
the next item to set is
going to be, and selecting a *precise* numeric value with the
pulldowns is no fun.

Graeme, the ICC profile format has its advantages; but I don't see
them as being pertinent
to print driver settings. And there are tools to read and write XML or
JSON in every language
in the world, and anyone who needs to make GUIs to create the print
settings can use those.

Edmund