[Openicc] Assigning icc profiles to driver settings

Jan-Peter Homann homann at colormanagement.de
Wed Jan 19 14:13:30 PST 2011

Hello Edmund,
There seems to be somekind of misunderstanding between us...
We all know, that both on Mac OSX and Windows, ICC colormanagement for
the standard printing chain with interaction of OS, application and
printer drivers is currently not managable.

The min problem is, that the vendors of OS, applications and printer
drivers don´t interact and every one implements ICC colormanagement from
his own small perspective.

Today I believe, that the Open Source Community is the only place, where
we can find a working agreement between developers of OS, graphic
layers, printing infrastructure, applications and so on.

 From the statements in the OpenICC mailinglist, you see that quite
importing people from the "private club ICC" are monitoring this list
and providing valuable input.

If workflows will be approved to work in a 100% Open Source environment,
I don´t see why we should forbid vendors and users also to implement
such workflows in mixed environments of propietary and Open Source
software like e.g. CUPS and Gutenprint on Mac OS X or Windows. If such
workflows are also supported and recommended by the ICC I feel fine with it.

My e-mail about concepts for assigning ICC profiles to printer driver
settings is intended to start a discussion about the possibilities,
advantages and pitfalls of the different concepts.

Currently I´m quite pleased with the different statements we are getting
in the discussion.

Best regards
Jan-Peter