[Openicc] colord 0.1.0 released!

Chris Murphy lists at colorremedies.com
Wed Jan 19 16:08:20 PST 2011

Comment 1:
This is something I've long advocated for both Microsoft and Apple: to the degree that we totally abstract the choosing of the ICC profile itself away from the user, because that really is just another setting, at present. I still find it rather ridiculous that we have to choose "ESP9880_PremiumLuster_2880_PK" and then in another dialog have to choose: a.) the printer model, b.) the media type, c.) the resolution, d.) the inkset, if applicable, all over again.

One idea behind the optional tags in ICC profiles was to allow for such settings to be included in the ICC profile itself, so that upon choosing a profile, driver specific metadata in that profile could be used to autopopulate the driver settings so that the printing conditions for that profile were reproduced. So there's that paradigm.

And another would be for the user to choose driver settings (or a preset containing them), and then for an ICC profile to be chosen automatically based on those settings.

I think depending on ICC profiles containing metadata to do this is completely dead in the water. There is no requirement for the profile builder to populate these tags. There's no support in any package I'm aware of that populates these tags either, you'd have to use something like sampleicc or icctoxml to add the tags. I could be wrong but I think that will go nowhere for the larger ICC market.

So it seems that the ICC profile is just another setting in the driver. But still, in the case of application prematching, if the application could pass to the system that chosen profile, the system could look in its database of presets for that profile and choose a default preset of driver settings that calls for that profile. This avoids end user error and is quite elegant.

Comment 2:
What is "CMS off" isn't always the same for every printer. Many consumer printers are increasingly only accepting/assuming sRGB input, there is no "wider gamut RGB/CMYK" path, let alone DeviceN. So is this CMS off? Well...not really. Can we profile over this behavior? Maybe. I think it's a problem to propose these are all the same thing to users.

Chris Murphy